October 26, 2010

paul the octopus


Unfortunately it wasn't until today that I heard about this Octopus named Paul.  I say unfortunately because Paul the Octopus died today. Morbid, I know.  But what makes Paul so cool (besides that him and my dad share a name) is that he was an oracle of sorts- apparently he had a perfect record (8 for 8) for predicting some of the World Cup games, even predicting the final game.  Since octopuses don't talk (doi) they placed two plastic boxes with an octopus treat inside and the flags of each country on top.  He would then grab the country's flag with his tentacle and lift it up to get the treat- that being his prediction.  What a peculiar thing this all is.  However when I saw this news story today I knew I had to pay my respects to the little 8-legged cephalopod- that's octopus in scientific lingo.  I've attached a video below to show his final prediction.  A little scary- perhaps not suitable for younger eyes or kids that have nightmares.


I am not sure if I am more amazed by his prediction or his ability to open up this box. All his tentacles wrapping around it make me a little jittery.  Creepy little things but kinda cool, no? Well regardless, I think I may have just found my halloween costume...

RIP, Paul.

1 comment:

mandi winterton said...

i've heard of this little guy.
love him!
you will be missed paul.
but your legacy lives on.