October 13, 2010

FILM: the painted veil


This movie review is on The Painted Veil.  I watched it a couple nights ago and while it was my second time seeing it and I still loved it.  It is a film set in the 20's located mostly in China, particularly in the rural parts.  Needless to say the scenery captured is ah-mazing. But regardless of the beautiful cinematography, the story itself is powerful and is able to stand on its own.  The plot is basically about a doctor (Edward Norton) fighting the cholera outbreak in a Chinese village and dealing with a loveless marriage and a wife who previously cheated on him. The outbreak and the doctors hand in it is interesting and historical but what really is worth watching is the story between the couple and the transformation they both go through.  It is not your typical love story but I found it to have more depth than most love stories I've seen in the movies.  There is a specific scene when the wife (Naomi Watts) is talking to the nun and the dialogue is particularly moving and shows an insight into what real love perhaps is.  It was so good Harold and I rewound it to listen to it again and we had a discussion about it and the underlying theme in the film.  I don't want to give too much away so go rent it and watch it for yourselves and you'll see what I am talking about.  And don't let your husbands, boy friends, or guy friends be shyed away by this movie. It's not a chick flick by any means.  Oh and did I mention the acting is great in this film? Naomi Watts and Edward Norton are the stars of this film and they do a fab job.  So if you are looking for a movie with some depth to it than I'd fully recommend The Painted Veil.

1 comment:

Sarah Evans said...

This is fun to get your movie reviews! I'll have to check out your blog weekly now. I think I'm hooked! I'm your old neighbor Sarah McVea:-)