October 1, 2010

I love movies

When people ask me what hobbies I have, often one of the first thing I think of is, watching movies. Probably sounds like a strange or at least a lazy hobby but I can't help but love a good flick- I even took a film class in college because I was so interested and wanted to understand more. I've never really had the aspiration to be a film director or anything like that but I do however feel that I can immensely appreciate their work.. That's good too, right? Well to help legitimize this hobby of mine I want to try and highlight a movie each week on my blog(and maybe this will help me be a more consistent blogger). And remember people- this is just my opinion, I'm sure sometimes we'll disagree. But let's still be friends, k? cool.

Well the most recent movie I watched was Penelope . An absolutely lovely, feel-good movie that I love watching time and time again. I would say this is more of a girly film, so consider it for the next girls night out or when you need a boost in your spirits. Anywho, Penelope is a film with beautiful, colorful cinematography (I think parts are filmed in London- automatic like by me). The outfits she (Penelope aka Christina Ricci) wears are absolutely precious- including her super fun "feathery" wedding dress. But besides the beautiful things to look at in this film it is a sweet story that leaves anybody (especially girls) feeling really good about themselves after. This film doesn't leave you with unrealistic dating expectations, make you depressed that you don't have a boyfriend, or that you don't look as good as the celebs you are watching- sounds like a hit to me! Overall, the story is about a girl that is cursed with a pig face (and you worried about your nose) from an old family curse. She thinks that the only thing that can break it is dating one of her own kind (blue blood- super wealthy) so off she is to find someone to break the curse- sounds a little cliche and childish, I know, but it's a little different than what you might think. More artistic, less cheesy lines that make you cringe (Que Letters to Juliet), and a deeper message we could all be reminded of every now and again. So get out there, put Penelope in your netflix que or shopping basket and enjoy this sweet little film- and even if you don't particularly like it you can't help but feel good after watching and that is always worth our time, right?

now get watching!

1 comment:

Mary Martha said...

I want to see it for sure. Love the recomendation. Thanks for dinner tonight!