November 3, 2010

scuba steve

Well from now on you can all call me Scuba Kellee if you like.  Why you ask? Well because last night I started my first class of scuba diving lessons.  I am doing it with a group of friends and we got a pretty sweet deal not to mention a great teacher who likes corny jokes just about as much as I do.  In our first lesson we spent a lot of time "in the classroom" learning the basics of scuba diving, along with jumping the gun and asking him ridiculous questions.. "have you ever seen a dolphin while scuba diving?" -[and insert any other cutey animal I hope to see someday while diving].  "what are my chances of seeing a dead body while diving?" "I'm scared of sharks.. are they going to try and bite me?" and on and on. so silly. As you can see some of us were a bit jittery initially but as time went by I think we all got a little more comfortable.  We eventually got to get in the water with all our gear and learn some of the basics including breathing under water.  lemme tell ya- it's quite the experience.  I felt like Harry Potter in the 4th book after eating gillyweed- minus the mutated gills. aka way cool. You're under the water and yet you can still breathe. It's hard to explain but trust me it is somewhat of a surreal experience- but totally cool.  Well after going through some basic drills our cool teach let us go to the deep end (ooooh) and play around.  Again way cool going to the deep end of the pool and hang out down there with no worries.  I was just disappointed we didn't find any lost jewelry or pool toys. All-in-all it was a great first class and I look forward to my next 3 class sessions and then my final- 2 open water dives. Let's hope I pass!

This is what I hope to do if I pass:

see a sea turtle - but not touch one because you're not allowed- this guy didn't get the memo apparently.

dive with a dolphin.. because I love them.

I want to be this lady aka amy winehouse look-a-like. seriously though, our instructor told us that sea lions are hilarious and super friendly.  So naturally I want to be friends with them.


FACT: scuba divers are more fun than normal people. (it's a scuba joke.. soooorry normal people)

1 comment:

Mary Martha said...

That I so funny. Harold had his hands all over the sea titles in Maui. It's a 15000 fine if caught but whose to c in the sea. Ha. That guy kinda looks like Harry in fact. R u taking lessons from jay at fantastic scuba. His jokes get old fast like when u get in the so called heated pool in the winter and oops the heat broke. I almost quit. It was terrible. Good luck dear.