April 24, 2009

every day is earth day.


So I sort of forgot to celebrate earth day. I realized the day after, april 23, that the day prior was earth day. dangit. I am really bad at remember things and dates (unless it's my birthday). Disney and BBC even collaborated and made a movie called earth (basically a glorified episode of planet earth) and released it on earth day. There you go again disney, always being politically correct and showing us that you care about our kids and the world we live in. the world is happier because of you. hats off to you, walt. Anyways, I haven't seen the movie yet but plan too.

I've realized, However, that missing earth day is not too big a deal if you treat every day like earth day. There's always a plastic bottle you can recycle instead of throwing it away in the garbage. or riding your bike instead of driving. or playing outside and enjoying the earth instead of staying inside.. on the computer.. blogging. (crap. )

If we don't start treating mother earth with a little more respect we're going to melt and then the u.s. will partially submerge under water and the polar bears will die and global warming will have won! okay, a bit dramatic- I'm not even a huge fighter against global warming. Rather, I'm on mother earth's team. Sure, let's help the enviroment, but let's not get crazy with all the drama you environmentalist like to bring with the whole global warming thing. just take it easy guys, especially you al gore. The only inconvenient truth you have to share is the fact that you did not actually invent the internet.

But seriously, let's give mother earth a helping hand. Perhaps if we were a bit more considerate and acknowledged her beauty, she wouldn't hit us with a snowstorm in the middle of april. let's take time to not only help the environment but notice it too. some examples of things we might take notice of.. flowers: you're not pointless. even if some boys like to think you serve no actual purpose- I sure do. I love you, so please stick around. mountains: your ruggedness is a breath of fresh air. (seriously- a breath of really unpolluted, fresh air). beach: you've created the perfect getaway and pure bliss and although your water may be salty I appreciate the fact that it cleans up and heals my open wounds and scrapes. sun: you warm my body and tan my skin- i'm eternally grateful for you. the list could go on but you get the gist. basically we could all list a billion reasons why we love mother earth and therefore we should show our love. recycle, ride bikes, play outside, swim, hike, dress up as mother earth for halloween to really show you care, drive less, plant a tree, etc.

here's to earth and making every day earth day.

6 comments:

mandi winterton said...

Kellee! I am so excited for that movie. I really want to go see it! I can hardly wait to "watch 4 families on their journey throughout life" or however walt phrased it!

Jenny said...

Yay for the earth! I laughed out loud at the you remembering your own birthday comment, oh kellee....

Road Trip....Where should we go?

Unknown said...

You should date Al Gore.

Meg said...

wanna go see that new disney movie that came out on earth day?????? its gonna be great!

Mike said...

Kel. I think big sandwiches is a great way to appreciate the Earth and all it has to offer...

...on in one glorious, giant, bite.

Chelsey said...

Despite the fact that that satelite image of the earth is geographically inaccurate, I too can appreciate the earth. I'm pretty sure I used up all my non-renewable resources air-saxophoning to "Under the Sea," the other night, whilst not checking the crowd for any available bachelors. Hurray for getting dolled up to boogey down!