January 31, 2011

part 3, Guatemala

Alas, the Belize pictures come to an end.  This last roll of pics come from our day trip to Guatemala where we visited the Mayan ruins in Tikal.  These were some amazing ruins.  I have seen some ruins before in Mexico but these definitely outdid those. Huge temple after huge temple, Tikal is quite a site to see.  If you ever get the chance, GO.

(so I felt like I had to do these pictures extra large as to try and show the magnitude and magnificence of the ruins)

this tree was suuuuuper tall. and don't you think it looks a bit "suess-ical" 

the first ruin we saw.

trying to spell "tikal" at the top. not sure what the person in the middle of "I" and "K" is doing..


we are far above all the greenery and jungle. If you look in the distance you can see a couple of ruins, plus some mounds that are more temples and buildings that just haven't been uncovered

the whole gang on top of one of the temples- trust me, we're up real high.


Harold is all that is left of the human pyramid we made ourselves in front of this. hence the reason he is on all fours.
the foundation.
taking a break from all the ruin hiking (and all those steps)

Harold and his little guatemalan buddy. He served his mission here and loved being with the people again

more ruins




try and notice how big this temple is and how small the people at the top are.


amazing.
more ruins hidden in the jungle (this was taken on top of a temple)

Jaguar Temple (the sand part to the left that you can see half of is where they did the sacrifices, for some reason I always thought they did it at the tops of the temple but I guess not.)

These were rooms- often wear royalty and nobles lived (Adam and JEss sitting on the steps)

more ruins surrounding the temple, where the royalty/wealthy lived




On our way home we passed this amazing lake in Guatemala that is supposedly their "cleanest" lake, not sure if that actually means much, but it was enough to convince us so we all jumped in and after watched sunset on the dock.

Harold and I
Annie and Alex. such a precious picture.

the whole crew plus another couple that was on the tour too. A great day to end such a great trip.
cheers to a great trip, great people, great food, great weather, and great memories. (I think we need to make this a tradition, eh guys?)

The End.


6 comments:

Brandon and Katie said...

fun kellers! thanks for making the rest of us jealous!! i can't get over the picture of annie and alex. love them and love you too!! and i love being in your family's ward. :)

katie beth said...

this trip looks amazing! i'm totally jealous. i took a meso-american humanities class at byu and studied tikal... but your pictures with the human-spelling and harold-pyramids make it seem much more exciting than my professor ever did. oh... and do you think you could braid my hair like annie's? thatisreallysomethingelse. your old squishee loves & misses you!

adam and jess said...

yes. it is now a tradition.

Kat said...

I LOVE the picture of you and Harold on the dock. SUPER cute!!! I absolutely love it. This is gonna sound weird but I love that there is so much skin to see! That means warm weather and less layers. :) You are so darling and every single one of these pictures is incredible! I want to go there. You are Harold are such a cute couple. You resemble each other in the cutest way possible.

Michelle and Brady said...

Hey!!! i have been their! I loved Guatemala and i loved going their! i miss it! looks like you guys had a fun trip!

Courtney Peña said...

I can't tell you how many wonderful things I've heard about you. The Abells absolutely adore you! I love seeing pictures of you and Harold- you two are so cute. (And this trip sounds and looks incredible).I am SO happy for you, and for Mary Martha and Helen to have another amazing sister!