August 24, 2009

the end of summer, the welcoming of fall.

This past weekend I went to the Twilight Concert series again and saw Iron & Wine and Okerville river play this time. I though Okerville was okay but I got tired of them pretty quick. It probably didn't help either that I was really tired and very hot. But then again, who can complain when it is a free concert? Luckily, I caught a quick breather, cooled down, and enjoyed iron & wine. He is a grizzly man and plays and sings beautiful stuff. I only wish that he would've told everyone to sit down, close their eyes if they were so inclined ,and just enjoy the music. You don't exactly rock out to iron & wine- you just become entranced by the music. I think the perfect setting to listen to him would be a small crowd around a campfire or him playing next to your bed as you fall asleep. But I guess an outdoor amplitheater with a thousand other hipster kids squished right next to you will have to do. He did do a good job and played some good songs. He didn't play one of my favorites- Promising Light, but I guess beggars can't be choosers. Overall, though, I enjoyed the concert.

The concert seemed to mark the end of summer. The days of a new school year, fall weather and fashion, football season, and a student-crowded Provo seem to almost be here. As always, I am excited. Excited for what this new and last year at college holds for me. Excited to live in the Candy Shoppe with 5 best friends. Excited for the new friends I'll meet and the memories I'll make with the old ones. Excited for fall boots and sweaters. Excited for the colorful leaves and drives up the Provo Canyon. Excited for a cougar football season (let's hope they're good this year). Excited for group study sessions in the harold where hardly any work actually gets done and late night finishing of projects, with runs to 7-11 for a Dr. Pepper and a chocolate donut to keep me awake. Excited for this 09-10 school year- it's my last at BYU and I intend to go out with a bang.

Summer, you've been good to me. but fall, I welcome you with open arms.

4 comments:

Meg Duffy said...

oh gosh. fall scares me this year. i dont want summer to end.

at all.

Sarah Orme said...

ok, a few things you missed:

party shorts
road trips
sleeping in through classes
dollar theater
lady lib
creeper boys
pumpkins cooked in their entirety
...the list could go on

Shannon Elizabeth said...

i cant believe you are living in the candy shoppe. i lived there. in the log cabin--aka the room with shag carpet in the attic--aka the room that is no longer adorned with shag carpet and log cabinness. i also named it candy shoppe. im so glad the name has stuck. a lot of naughty and wonderful things happened in the candy shoppe. i hope you do a lot more naughty and wonderful things in it.

Katie said...

Amen, Girl! You're gonna rock it in the Brimhall!