May 26, 2009

I went to the spiral jetty on my day off.. go ahead, call me art school.


This memorial day I drove almost 3 hours to the middle of nowhere on a very bumpy, rocky road to a little thing I liked to call the spiral jetty- and for the record I absolutely loved it.  It was the highlight to my weekend and one of the coolest things I've done in awhile.  Now some of you may be asking what the spiral jetty is, so let me tell you. Robert Smithson, an artist created a piece of installation art in 1970 called the spiral jetty. As the pictures show it is a giant spiral made out of rocks on the salt flats in seriously the middle of nowhere, which really adds to the whole surreal experience.  I felt so small compared to the endless sky and land that surrounded me and the lack of civilization anywhere near.  If my car broke down we would have been goners.  My friends and I wished there was some abandoned, rusty car on the dirt road there that said 'drivers beware'- I think it would've added to the fact that we felt so adventurous on our very bumpy, rocky road we were traveling on (think indiana jones ride, real life).  If you and your car made it there in one piece, you ended up right next to the salt flats and this giant piece of artwork.  The salt flat themselves are pretty cool and since the water was lower, we could walk out pretty far on them and see the remains of what used to be covered by water.  The spiral jetty wasn't covered by water either so we could walk on the rock path and circle the rocks to get to the middle of the spiral.  It's like dorothy and her yellow brick road, but art school style.  My man Robert would've been so proud.  

So while I didn't spend my long weekend in california, vegas, or moab, I did enjoy getting in touch with my artsy-utah pride side.  Utah may not have the moma or a national gallery but we do have the spiral jetty- so take that big cities!  All in all, the trip was a huge success and if you ever feel the need to be more art school or feelin the utah pride- I'd highly recommend the spiral jetty- and just make sure you take a 4wd car.

  (the artist himself, robert smithson)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a rad way to spend your memorial day. Spiraly thingies are always fun.

Megan said...

i have actually always wanted to go out there and see that! it looks awesome.

Mike said...

if it ain't a spiral jetty? It's lame and petty.

Meg Duffy said...

i want to go here!!! will you give me directions?

Cec said...

Dude you are soo cultural! Let's go gallery walking sometime in PC!

Brad and Kimberly said...

I had no idea that even exsisted! I am finding by being out of Utah that Utah actually has a lot to offer. I sure missed out. Good thing I will be back in 3 years!

betsy b said...

kel.
love the post. i learned about the spiral jetty in london. weird. i want to go there.