May 16, 2009

wii fit.

(Photo courtesy of Kylie Nixon)

I'm sure you've all heard of the amazing piece of technology that is called the nintendo wii. man technology has sure come far since the sega genesis. No diss on sega- I think I loved playing sonic more than most any other game- but have you played the wii? They take nintendo gaming to a whole new level. The wii is a whole interactive experience. For all those who played mariokart on the N64 and turned the controller as you tried to turn your car on the game- the wii is fit for you. In mariokart wii you actually have a little steering wheel and the car moves as you turn your wheel. The wii sports are the same. Baseball: swing the controller like a bat. Tennis: swing it like a racket, etc. Well there is a lot more the wii can do and other cool games but I wanted to touch on one that I have found quite amazing. The wii fit.

Now most might think that it is an oxymoron to play a video game and get exercise at the same time, however, the wii fit has overcome this paradox. They laugh at all the other games that make kids (and adults) fat and lazy. Rather they caught on to the fitness craze that America is obsessed with. (next thing you know they'll sell recyclable-"go green"-games and gear) The wii fit is an exercise program in which you set goals, have a trainer, get fitness tips, and so on. It first starts out with you standing on the fitness board. The fitness board is amazing technology. It reminds me of when I rode a segway for the first time and being so impressed with the technology. This little plastic board can measure your weight, tell you your BMI (body mass index)- and then go onto tell you if you are underweight, normal, or overweight. It can also tell you how good your posture is by seeing how much weight you put on both both legs.  After doing the body test and find out all this information, it suggests areas in which you should work on.  There are 4 categories and in each one there is multiple different fitness activities you can do.  As you do them you gain points and as you gain points it unlocks more activities.  Motivation to keep working out!  The personal trainer feature is great too.  He or she shows you how to do everything, gives you good tips, and great encouragement.  

There are many other cool features the wii fit has but basically it is amazing and I have been sold on it.  Hopefully this is not like other goals that I initially was excited about and then slowly lost focus (ahem lent).  But so far so good.  I have set some goals, have a trainer, and have already started working out.  I even woke up the next day with sore abs after my first set of workouts with the fit.  I even plan to do some yoga on it this week..  So if you see me in a month or so with a super toned bod- we'll all know who to thank.

6 comments:

Chelsey said...

Kel, I hope your references to Sega Genesis and N64 weren't meant to insinuate that those are old systems. I think of Sonic as being pretty progressive since you could go backwards. Some of us remember gaming on NES and for a period of time on the Atari. But yes, the Wii Fit does mark the beginning of "The Future." Finally. Now, all I need is to get your pre-Wii body in that picture and my life will be complete. I can guarantee that the "underweight" indicator will be rendered useless if ever brought into my home.

Unknown said...

I dont like how the wii fit points out my weaknesses.

Kat said...

:) Nothing beats going to a regular yoga class though. It's awesome! I haven't tried the wii fit though. P.S. I love that picture of you.

Brandon and Katie said...

was that an infomercial? :) you should definitely get a job selling this thing. i do love it but probably haven't stepped on ours for like 4 months! dang my trainer is going to KILL me!!! haha LOVE YOU!

Kylie Whiting said...

dang girl. looking fly in the yoga pose!

Rebecca Ann Groesbeck said...

oh myyyy i dead the soccer-heading thing the other night. never have i looked so uncoordinated or laughed so hard. totally burned like 800 calories though...