May 11, 2010

Weekend trip to West Point


(Arial shot of West Point's campus)

This past weekend I got the opportunity to go up to West Point to walk around the amazing campus and listen to Elder Holland speak to a branch up there. First off the campus is amazing. It's very Hogwarts-esque which obviously made me really pleased. We were kind of in a hurry so we didn't have time to take many pics but Kylie took some so if you want to see a few pictures of their beautiful campus than go to this post. And for those of you who don't know West Point is the top military school in America so it's kind of a big deal. Anywho, Elder Holland gave a talk in this huge old cathedral that is part of the campus but sits upon a hill overlooking the campus and the Hudson. It was quite a neat experience hearing an apostle talk in such an intimate setting and in an old cathedral no less. Not only was the setting amazing but my favorite (can I say that??) apostle pulled through an gave a beautiful and eloquent talk about the importance of being an individual. And how at times we may be the only ones to have our standards and beliefs but it is crucial to stand up, even as one, to what you believe. He had many insightful stories and scriptures shared and I only wish it could be published so that you all could read it because it was really amazing. But for the time being here is one of my faves by him. Long but well worth it.

(us girls with Elder Holland and his precious wife)

All-in-all it was an amazing night filled with an array of really amazing and unique experiences. Easily the highlight of my week. As for the rest of my Big Apple adventures.. stay tuned. TBA.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Kelly my hubby is from Newburgh which is right next to West Point! I am so jealous you are enjoying the east coast!!! Glad to hear your having fun!

Mary Martha said...

That's amazing! That would have been to see him in the cathedral setting. I ran into him in the airport one time. It was neat