November 5, 2008

Remember remember, the 5th of November


HAPPY: Guy Fawkes Day. A year ago today I was in Whitam, England celebrating Guy Fawkes Day with an English family. We went to a huge town bonfire slash carnival. Fireworks included. It was like a weak version of our stadium of fire- then again what comes close to Provo's 4th of July Party. We know how to party in the 801. Guy Fawkes knows how to party too. In 1605, Guy Fawkes and other Catholic conspirators attempted to blow up the Houses of Parliament in London, England. Fortunately, plans didn't go through and the Houses of Parliament didn't get burned to the ground. The English, like the most of us, love a reason to party, so every year the UK celebrates this day by having big bonfires and lots of fireworks. They take it a step further by burning effigies of Guy Fawkes. You try to burn down our house, we'll burn you down for hundreds of years. They don't mess around in the 020.

In respect to this great holiday and my love for London, England, and all it has to offer, my London study abroad mates and I are going to be having a big bonfire tonight. I'm thinking I should create an effigy of some sort to contribute. Either way, getting together with all my London friends and celebrating an English holiday will definitely make me, happy.

1 comment:

Rebecca Ann Groesbeck said...

Guess what I was doing during those fireworks? WATCHING HAMLET. ahhhhh who are these teachers who think we have to learn things here? Haha but we're going to the Lord Mayor's festival tonight. You'll be in my heart kellee bells.