July 27, 2010

summer reads

Isn't summer great?  Not only is it the time of great weather, vacations, and bbq's but it is also a time when you are able to have more time to read good books.  Taking a book to the pool or on vacation is prime, or if you are like me reading in the middle of the day whenever you want because you don't have a job yet also works.  Recently I have finished a couple books and am just starting a new one.  Here are my brief reviews on the two:

LIFE OF PI by Yann Martel


I really enjoyed Life of Pi.  Many people may have read this in high school but I never did so I decided to read it.  Ultimately it is about a boy stranded in the middle of the ocean on a boat with a tiger- but trust me it is not as weird as it sounds. The book is very symbolic and would actually be a great one to discuss.  I really like how the boy talks about different religions and the message at the end. Some say the middle of the book drags on a bit but perhaps because I was forewarned I was kept interested the whole time.  The writing is well done and overall I really enjoyed the book and would recommend it- especially if you had someone to talk to about it.

CATCHING FIRE (book 2 of Hunger Games) by Suzanne Collins


Well for those of you who liked the first book of this series than I am sure you already read this book or are thinking about reading it.  It's about as good as the first and of course always keeps you interested.  Keep in mind it is a book for younger readers so it's a quick read and keeps you entertained more than it focuses on eloquent writing.  But I think they are a fun series so if you are looking for an easy, fast-paced, quick read than I'd say this is your perfect laying-out-by-the-pool kinda read.  The third book comes out in August!

Well for now that is it.  I have just started THE HELP by Kathryn Stockett and hear great things- I'll let you know how it goes.. Aren't books the best?

"Good books are as friends, willing to give to us if we are willing to make a little effort." -President Hinckley

5 comments:

Unknown said...

love the new blog layout! Good books, too. Keep us posted with "The Help"...

Katie said...

1. Love the new blog design.

2. I always LOVE your book posts. I think I will venture over to amazon.com and see if I can't find Life of Pi.

Thanks for being so great, Kellee. Good luck with the job search.

Kat said...

The help is amazing. REALLY good. I just finished it last week, and I loved it. I love reading books!!

Sara said...

I really like the Hunger Games books too, even though I feel somewhat guilty reading them because they're a little young haha.

You'll really like The Help! It made me cry.

Mary Martha said...

your a serious reader. means your smart. way to go.