January 13, 2010

helping haiti.

As most of you know Haiti has recently been hit by a huge earthquake that has killed a lot of people. When I first heard this I was shocked and worried. With my experiences visiting Haiti and working with the people, I was sad that more hurt would come to these people. Haiti is the poorest country in the western hemisphere and about 70% of its population is below the poverty line. It is a sad place but one that is very dear to me. My dad founded an organization years ago and we started in Haiti. We built an orphanage there and brought tons of supplies each trip for the orphanage and a bunch of other orphanages. I was fortunate enough to go 3 times to help build it, take supplies to a bunch of orphanages, and experience the culture and the great people that live there. It is a place of poverty and so many struggle to feed themselves and their families. About 15% of the children in Haiti are orphaned or abandoned. I can only imagine that a devastating earthquake like this will unfortunately increase this and leave more children without parents. I hope we can all take a moment to think about this and how we might help. I've attached the unicef banner on the side of my blog where you can help donate to their relief cause and below is the link to the foundation my family is apart of.

http://www.achildshopefoundation.org/global_haiti.html

Truly any amount helps.

Below is my haitian cousin who was adopted from the orphanage we built. She is now 6 and apart of a loving family.

2 comments:

Hayley Baum said...

my hubs unit in NC is on their way down to help with the cleanup right now. I immediately thought of you when I heard what had happened! So sad!

Unknown said...

Thank you for the link I have been looking for ways to donate and help!